The Society of Trust and Estate Practitioners (STEP) Canada will be hosting the 2011 Conference in Toronto, Canada on June 2nd and 3rd.
The conference will be held at the Metro Toronto Convention Centre, 255 Front Street West, South Building.
The event will feature industry experts who will share insights in the areas of tax, trust law, trust administration, insurance and financial planning which will highlight the latest news and developments in trust and estate practice.
• Trends in tax litigation – Gain insights into the latest trends in tax litigation affecting trust and estate practice presented by a top Canadian litigator and Chartered Accountant.
• The state of U.S. estate tax – Learn more about the situation in the U.S. regarding the passing of new legislation amending the estate tax.
• Post-mortem planning – Covering various legal and drafting issues including tax planning, and providing information about the available insurance products.
• The rights of common law spouses – A comparison of the rights of common law spouses across the Provincial landscape in Canada.
• Estate freeze fundamentals – Detailed information on the steps taken to implement an estate freeze.
• Inbound trusts – A discussion of the planning options for repatriating trusts.
• Planning for families with a disabled family member – Learn about the key planning issues involved in planning for a disabled family member’s long-term welfare.
• Elder law – Legal and medical experts will investigate the planning concerns for elderly clientele.
• Contesting a will – This session will cover opposing topics by providing tips on how to contest a will as well as tips on how to prevent a challenge to a will.
• Canada Revenue Agency roundtable – CRA representatives will answer questions from industry experts in a roundtable discussion on a variety of issues.
• Philanthropy – Information on both Canadian and international trends in philanthropy, and information on the use of private foundations and their governance.
• Solicitor-Client privilege – The definition of privilege and insight into its future application as it comes under increasing pressure from tax administrators and policy makers.
STEP Member: $1,073.50
STEP Student: $1,073.50
Non-STEP Member: $1,243.00
On-site registration will open at conference registration desk at the MTCC at 7:45 a.m. on June 2nd in Room 717A, South Building.
Please download and complete your registration form ahead of time.
Barbados Offshore Trust Showcase
Invest Barbados is a Silver Sponsor and will host a booth at the event. Participants will have the chance to learn more about establishing a Barbados Offshore Trust and the other great opportunities available for international business on the island.