Barbados Car Rentals
A Barbados car rental offers a great way to explore everything that our beautiful island has to offer on your own terms and on your own time. With an extensive road network, you can get everywhere you want to be by car.
When it comes to renting a car in Barbados, there are dozens of car rental companies to choose from which is great for visitors as they have a wide variety of options when looking for the ideal vehicle to suit their needs.
Perhaps the most famous car rental available is the mini-moke. A moke refers to a small car with a soft, removable top and no doors! It is perfect for visitors who want to enjoy the island’s heat and shining sun while on the road. If a moke isn’t for you, there are a lot of other options available from air conditioned sedans to 4×4 SUVs and mini-vans.
What to Expect from a Car Rental Company
Various car rental companies offer different services. In general, the leading companies will offer top notch services that include:
• Airport (or hotel) pick-up and drop-off service
• Comprehensive car insurance included with the rental price
• Issuing of on-the-spot visitor driver permits which are required by law for foreign drivers to have
• Around the clock emergency services in the event that drivers require roadside assistance
• Unlimited mileage
• Computerize reservations
• Car seats for children
Although most car rental companies offer the above services, all may not, so it is best to find out up-front to make sure that you are not disappointed with your rental.
Driving in Barbados
There are a few differences in the road rules and driving customs on the island. These differences are especially acute if you are from North America. Some of the major differences include:
• Barbadians drive on the left hand side of the road
• Roundabouts are popular instead of traffic lights
• Drivers often honk a quick “beep beep” to greet other drivers and to say “thank you”, however an extended blow of the horn means the same thing worldwide
• If you are in an accident, you are required to wait with the vehicle in its current position until the police and car rental company arrive, do not move the vehicle off the road
• Drivers flash their lights to allow people to exit at intersections with the flasher indicating that they are stopping to “let you out”
If you get lost on your trip, help is always close at hand. Any local Bajan will be happy to give you directions to your destination. There is also the general rule of thumb that says that you can’t get lost as you will eventually find the sea. Another trick is to look at the bus stop signs which indicate To Town and Out of Town, with Town referring to the capital Bridgetown. These signs offer a great way to get your bearings if you have become confused as to which direction you are headed.
Car Rental Companies
With tourism as the island’s main industry, there are dozens of Barbados car rental companies offering a selection of vehicles, prices and extra services. The sector is made up of many small to medium sized rental companies who generally do a great job and offer personalized service. However, this means that there are no big brand name car rental companies that visitors to the island would be familiar with. This makes it hard to tell which company to choose.
The Barbados Offshore Advisor recommends the following top Barbados car rental companies:
Top Car Rentals was started back in the 70s by “Stumpy” Goddard, so they have many years of experience and have built an impeccable business reputation of superb service. They will provide you with a smooth and efficient rental experience.
A Great Way to Travel
A Barbados car rental offers one of the best ways to explore the beautiful island of Barbados. The entire island is easily accessible and the many stunning beaches are at your fingertips with your own car rental. There is no place like Barbados and there is no better way to see it all.